Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Who I'm Actually Following on Twitter

There is a huge difference between the people I follow on twitter and the people whose tweets I actually read. To be honest, following The Wall Street Journal is just a confidence booster for me. Being in the business school, I like to pretend like I know what is going on in the business world. However it has become pretty apparent that I understand almost nothing the Wall Street Journal's twitter account posts. I don't have stock and I don't know anything about investments. So needless to say I skip over almost every tweet they have, unless I stare at it to pick up on key words so I can casually drop them in a conversation. In essence, I'm not really following them at all. A similar concept goes for the political figures I follow. Since this is the first year I am able to vote, I thought it would be a good idea to follow both the Obama and Romney campaigns to see what each of them were about (since I know absolutely nothing). Similarly, I still don't have any idea what is really going on and just find myself skipping over their tweets pretty regularly.

The Kardashians are a whole other story. I read almost everything they post, look at all of Kourtney's instagram pictures of Mason playing, and follow Kim to see what she is doing that night or when she is watching her own show (gross). Sadly I cannot help this at all, and it really pains me to say I think a lot of my generation feels the same way about their own twitter feeds. One would think that opening up our minds and following new sources and people on twitter would make us feel more informed about the world. However, I honestly just feel more confused than ever.

1 comment:

  1. You're just getting started. Are you following some Lehigh program accounts? You could start using Twitter to research the community you'll want to engage with on your upcoming communications campaign. Also, keep in mind the three aspects of twitter that are integral to building a relationship with ANY community: create, respond (reply) and share (RT) .

    ReplyDelete