Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pinterest- The World's Best Free Marketing Invention

This summer, I worked for a small boutique that sold jewelry, accessories, clothing, etc. and was frequently asked to update their social media sites. I did the basic Twitter and Facebook functions, where I would make fliers and post them for upcoming events and take pictures of new products. Then one random day when my boss was out and Grey's Anatomy was getting boring, I decided to make a Pinterest for the store. Without a doubt, this idea was probably one of the best marketing decisions this small business has made.

Pinterest allowed me to use my creativity to make a fun and colorful page that people would look at. I would set up displays of new products, take pictures, and add weird artsy effects to make them seem much cooler than they really were. I would then upload them to a specific Pinterest just for the company, and link the product to where you could buy it online.

After I posted around 4 boards, I sat back and forgot about it for a week or two. I logged back on to find I had hundreds of repins, and people were really liking our stuff. Without this medium, these people would never even heard of this small boutique outside of Philly, and we were starting to get in orders from people who had never heard of us before. Pinterest is all about sharing, and putting your products on this site will lead to only good things happening. I encourage every small business owner to learn what I have through this experience, and get the word out about your companies in a great FREE way.

1 comment:

  1. Magic! Now - what's next for your insight into the benefits of Pinterest for this company? How can you jump to the next level and be a über communications expert that swiftly engages customers with the next "must hav" item of this store? Or

    How does could Pinterest be used for other issues? Does you imagination see Pinterest in communicating other issues, ideas, knowledge....?

    (your experience makes me very excited for you)

    ReplyDelete