Thursday, October 4, 2012

Organizations Don't Tweet, People Do

Euan had a lot of very insightful information about social media. I think that the way he organized the book and his thoughts was very clear and concise, and his points were developed well with supporting details to help further my understanding. His passion and understanding for the topic was evident throughout his writing, and I think this book did a really good job proving its point. However, I felt at times that his points were repetitive. I think that he took a lot of time trying to convince people to blog and tweet more to get experience. While I think this is important, I think that he spent too much time trying to emphasize this when I found that other parts of his research were much more interesting. 

Overall, I found that his ideas and research were overall very enticing. I really enjoyed the chapter on what to do if your boss "doesn't get it." From my personal experiences with my internship this summer, I found that this is a pretty common occurrence. I often found that I had to explain myself and the advantages and disadvantages of social networking. I think that Euan provided a lot of really great insight about what the appropriate things are to say to your boss to get the total competitive advantage that social networking provides. This issue is a huge factor in businesses transforming to advertising and communicating on this medium and I think it is really important for us as well as our bosses to understand the positives social media has to offer. 

1 comment:

  1. The deeper connection is not necessarily the tools, but what you choose to do with them. Any savvy employee who sees the company benefit of social media can be proactively engaging any supervisor on what outcomes can happen by engaging more directly and authentically with customers.

    Your internship offers you a great opportunity for you to reflect on how you will face the next "boss doesn't get it" challenge. Having said that, let's turn the tables and make YOU the boss now.

    What issues or campaigns are you ready to start forming a community and building a communications strategy around? Time for the rubber to hit the road - you are ready.

    ReplyDelete